Tuesday, October 05, 2004

My love of all things family...

Okay, a huge wake-up call. My Aunt has been sick for awhile. My Tia Lupe. What can I say about her? She has this presence, this wonder aura. She can make the most depressed person feel loved and wanted. She can make the sickest person feel like they never ached-even if for a few hours. It's just not fair to allow someone so precious to be so sick. Her kidneys are possibly failing. My mother, for those who don't know, has a rare liver disease and is dying from it. Her sister is her rock and I don't want anything to happen to any of them, but I know it eventually will. My point, I've realized (and have always known) that the day will come. Am I prepared? Can anyone be? I'm scared. To me, and I assume for most, it's important to have those you love close by because they can be what keeps you from losing it. In times like this I rest my well-being on my sister and most recently on Drèon. It becomes so apparent who you love in times like this. I never want Drèon to go through this and I know if he does I will be there for him-plain and simple.

I will know exactly what is going on with my Aunt later today once tests are ran (I will inform). So on a lighter note, DAA was so much fun. According to Melissa, she had a blast. And of course I will post pictures later. I think the most exciting part of the evening was meeting one of the Distinguished Alumnus, Teresa Lozano Long, because she was born and raised in the same small hometown, Premont, as my sister's husband. Mrs. Long and her husband have donated 20 million toward the building of Austin's Long Center for the Performing Arts in Austin. And an additional 10 million was endowed to UT for the Teresa Lozano Long Institute for Latin American Studies. She was an awesome individual to meet and past her enormously large jewels and elegant gown, she was just has down to earth has anyone else.

The other Distinguished Alumnus awarded: Bill Ratliff, Former Lieutenant Governor and State Senator. John M. Coetzee, Nobel Prize winner in Literature. Kenneth M. Jastrow, Chairman and CEO of Temple-Inland. Roy M. Spence, Founder of the marketing firm GSD&M. And Trisha Wilson, international interior designer. It was a great party.

Saturday we attending the pre-game and I helped JG at the ticket service table. Melissa seemed to enjoy herself. Again, there was plenty of food and great conversation. Drèon came over later that night and all three of us had a great time. They got along so well. I loved it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home